Mining Country Challenge
AN APPROVED HELMET IS REQUIRED FOR ALL RIDES LISTED
27th Annual Mining Country Challenge - 66 Miles
Saturday, March 16, 2019
Volunteers are need to help with the Mining Country Challenge. This ride is all about climbing, so many of you will not be on the ride, but perhaps you would like to help. Anyone can volunteer. You don't have to be a Phoenix Metro Bicycle Club member or a bicyclist to be a volunteer! Family and friends may also volunteer. Help is needed for Registration, Rest Stops, SAG Support, and Help before the day of the event. Use the "Volunteer Here!" button to register to be a volunteer. PMBC says, 'Thank you!'.
Saddle up, Pard'ner, it's time to hit the trail! And some trail it is!
We're not talking about some easy little jaunt into the desert on some mule with no name (apologies to America) with a pick and shovel slung over your shoulder, no, Sir-ee! However, when you see what you'll be climbing, you may want to reconsider that mule! Or maybe get a mountain goat!
Climb, climb, then climb some more. That's the Mining Country Challenge. It's not for everyone, but if you aspire to put your climbing abilities to the test, this really is the ride for you.
(Note: Only the Metric Century will be available this year.)
- Saturday, March 16, 2019.
- Registration / Check-in: 7:45 AM to 8:15 AM
- The Ride (Metric Century only this year) starts at 8:30 AM – No mass start
- Ride starts AND ends in Superior, Arizona
- Registration, Check-in, and ride start is near Main St. & Magma Alley. Look for the signs and the registration table.
- Parking: is available on Main Street and at the east end of the courthouse. Or park along a side street.
ABOUT THE RIDE:
The Metric Century (66 miles)
- The ride starts in Old Town Superior in the heart of Arizona's mining country in the beautiful Tonto National Forest.
- From Superior, you'll go east, passing the Ray Mine, going 31 miles and stopping in Winkelman where there will be a sandwich lunch served.
- From there, the route returns on the same path, again passing the Ray Mine.
- The route culminates in a climb called "The End of the World", a 1.5-mile climb that averages 11%. After you make it up that hill, you will think it is the end of the world! From the top, it is downhill into Superior.
After Your Ride
- Online Registration: $40.00 for PMBC, ABC, GABA or Bullshifters members
- Online Registration: $50.00 for non-members
- Late (after 3/2/2019) and Day-of-Event registration fee is $10 more
- Online registration is now available at Eventbrite.
- Day-of Registration is available at the start location.
- No Mail-in registration is available.
Download the 2019 Mining Country Challenge Flyer (Adobe Acrobat format .pdf) or 2019 Mining Country Challenge Flyer (Microsoft Word format .docx).
Return to Top