Mining Country Challenge
AN APPROVED HELMET IS REQUIRED FOR ALL RIDES LISTED
25th Annual Mining Country Challenge - 66 Mile Options
Saturday, March 18, 2017
Volunteers are still need to help with the Mining Country Challenge. This ride is all about climbing, so many of you will not be on the ride, but perhaps you would like to help. You don't need to be a PMBC member or a bicyclist to be a volunteer. Family and friends can also volunteer.
, please sign up here:
This button is used to register as a volunteer. To register to ride the event use one of the registration buttons below.
NOTE: This year's route is again changed due to road construction going on over the next several months. Only the Metric Century is supported this year, from Superior to Winkelman. If you'd like to get in extra miles, you can continue north out of Winkelman on AZ-77 and go as far as you like (or until you run into road construction) and return to Superior via the same route.
Saddle up, Pard'ner, it's time to hit the trail! And some trail it is!
We're not talking about some easy little jaunt into the desert on some mule with no name (apologies to America) with a pick and shovel slung over your shoulder, no Sir-ee! However, when you see what you'll be climbing, you may want to reconsider that mule! Or maybe get a mountain goat!
Climb, climb, then climb some more. That's the Mining Country Challenge. It's not for everyone, but if you aspire to put your climbing abilities to the test, this really is the ride for you.
- Saturday, March 18, 2017.
- Registration / Check-in: 8:30 AM to 9:00 AM
- The Metric Century starts at 9:00 AM - No mass start
- Ride Superior, Arizona
- Registration/Check-in and the Start will take place near the intersection of Main Street and Magma Ave. Look for the signs and the registration table.
- Parking: is available on Main Street as well as at the east end of the courthouse. Or park along a side street.
- The ride finishes at the same location.
ABOUT THE RIDE
The metric century route (actual distance 66 miles) starts in Old Town Superior in the heart of Arizona's mining country. From Superior, you'll go east, passing the Ray Mine, going 31 miles and stopping in Winkelman where there will be a sandwich lunch served. From there the route returns on the same path, again passing the Ray Road Mine. The route culminates in a climb called "The End of the World", a 1.5-mile climb that averages 11%. After you make it up that hill, you will think it is the end of the world! From the top, it is downhill into Superior, where you can celebrate the Apache Leap Mining Festival.
- Online Registration: $35.00 for PMBC, ABC, GABA or Bullshifters members
- Online Registration: $45.00 for non-members
- Late (after 3/04/2017) and Day-of-Event registration fee is $10 more
- Online registration is now available at Eventbrite.
- Registration will also be available at the start location on the day of the ride.
- No Mail-in registration is available.
Download the 2017 Mining Country Challenge Flyer (Adobe Acrobat format .pdf) or 2017 Mining Country Challenge Flyer (Microsoft Word format .docx).
Return to Top